Reed 5A tonearm introduced as angling- 90o -tangential-pivot-tonearm, it is based on Double Birch/Thales geometry and will complement our tangential tonearm lineup.
Below is the scheme of Double Birch/Thales geometry. Tonearm geometry is optimized for minimal tracking error.
Operating principle of the tonearm is illustrated in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIoHvCE9F0I
- P1, O1, P3 – Thales’ semicircle,
- P1-A1-P3, P1-A2-P3, P1-A3-P3 angles are 90⁰ each,
- A1,1B1 = A2,1B2= A3,1B3 segments represent tonearm length,
- 1B – vertical axis of the tonearm,
- 1P2 – center of the circle, which is drawn through three points -1B1,1B2,1B3,- axis of rotation of the back link component
- 2P2 – center of the circle, which is drawn through three points -2B1,2B2,2B3,- axis of rotation of the front link component
- 1B1,2B1 = 1B2,2B2 = 1B3,2B3 – tonearm lever.
Armtube suspension system is similar to the one used in Reed 3P tonearm.
Tonearm’s back link uses low-noise ceramic rolling bearings.
Lever uses low-noise ceramic rolling bearing and rests on the sapphire – molybdenum carbide thrust bearing.
Sapphire – molybdenum carbide thrust bearings are also used for tonearm’s front link, vertical and horizontal axes.
Tonearm has VTA and azimuth setup and can be configured with Reed or SME (universal headshell connector) headshells.
To make sure tonearm setup is precisely horizontal, tonearm has integrated level and horizontal plane adjuster.
Comparing to regular pivot tonearms, Reed 5A does not require antiskating and has much less absolute tracking error (max. tracking error is +/- 4 Minute of Angle (MOA). Pivot tonearms – approx. 1.2 – 2.5 deg.
Comparing to other tangential tonearms, Reed 5A does not require any additional devices to work (e.g. compressors, electronic controllers), is compact and can be easily mounted on a wide range of turntables.
|Mounting distance||251 mm (platter diam.max.= 330 mm)|
|Tracking error||+/- 4 Minute of Angle (MOA)|
|Effective mass||10g -16 g depends on the armwand material|
|Height adjustment||compatible with 26÷46 mm height platters|
|VTA adjustment||precision +/- 0.2 mm|
|Azimuth adjustment||+/- 8 deg|
|Downforce range||10÷30 mN (cartridge mass 5.5 g – 19.5 g,(4.0 g – 25,0 g))|
|Offset angle, overhang||0 deg, 0 mm|
|Integrated level, accuracy||+/- 2 mm/m|
Video ở đây